When you hear that someone dresses up their pet, your mind may automatically jump to a vision of a small dog in a dress, tucked in a purse. But these days, there are plenty of other options out there to give your pet a little extra flair and show off their personality. Whether it's a festive bandana, a cozy sweater or a bejeweled collar, pet fashion is more versatile than ever. We've highlighted our five favorite ways to participate in pet fashion for all types of pets and pet owners.
1. No Fuss: For our no-nonsense furry friends, tie a festive scarf or bandana around their neck to show a little touch of personality. Although many stores carry these pet accessories, one of the best ways to find something unique is to look on Etsy (like this boutique), a marketplace for making, selling and buying unique goods.
2. The Warmer, the Better: For small pets who need a little something extra for warmth on snowy winter walks this season, many local shops and big-box stores offer a variety of sweaters and jackets that can be functional and fashionable.
3. Enough With the Fluff: For the dog or cat who wears a heavy natural coat but still wants to dress up for the occasion, collars and leashes are a great way to go. The options are endless—simple or flamboyant, sleek or jeweled. This simple accessory lets us show off our pets’ personalities.
4. #1 Fan: For the pet owner with endless pride for their favorite sports team, they can now add their four-legged family members to the cheering section. A variety of sports gear—shirts, dog dishes and more—is available, with entire sites dedicated to team spirit.
5. All Naturel: And for the pet who isn’t a fan of wearing extra clothes and accessories, let them be! Every pet is different and if yours isn’t on board with getting dressed up, their natural look is perfectly adorable.
Tag us on Instagram in your pet fashion pics and we’ll share our favorites!