My 17G5 PROLite machine is not suctioning properly. Where should I check for clogs?
Note: All of the following steps are considered routine maintenance and should be done regularly.
Please check the following:
- DIRT CONTAINER: If the dirt container is filled past the full line, empty the dirt container and check for suction again.
- BRUSH: If the brush is not turning, check to ensure the belt is intact. Replace either part if they appear worn or damaged.
- SUCTION AT UPHOLSTERY HOSE:
- NO SUCTION, check the following:
- Unplug the machine, remove the hose, and run a broomstick through the wand end to push any clogs through to the bent connector. You may have to remove packed clogs from the bend in the hose by hand.
- Upholstery hose inlet (where it attaches to the vacuum), and clear any debris.
- Lower hose for clogs
- Remove the lower hose access plate at the bottom of the unit by twisting the tabs to unlock the plate.
- Straighten the lower hose, and run a broomstick through to push out any debris. NOTE: Please do not use a coat hanger, as it may damage the hose.
- YES SUCTION, check the following:
- FILTERS: Remove the dirt container, the Multi-Layer Post Motor Filter, and the Pre Motor foam filter. Check these filters for dirt and debris. The foam Pre Motor filter can be washed in warm water with a mild detergent. Make sure it is completely dry before putting it back in the machine. The Multi-Layer Post Motor Filter CANNOT be washed, and should be replaced if it is dirty.
- MOTOR DUCT: To check the motor duct, feel for suction at the spot where the foam Pre Motor filter was.
- If there is suction at the motor duct and the filters are clean, check the cyclone assembly.
- CYCLONE ASSEMBLY: The cyclone assembly is the removable grey and clear plastic piece in the dirt cup assembly. Remove the cyclone assembly by twisting and pulling gently on the bottom. Clean the gray screen and cyclone assembly, using a dry cloth. You may use a damp cloth, if necessary, to remove additional dirt, however make sure the piece is completely dry before returning to the dirt cup.
- Return the cyclone assembly to the dirt cup, ensuring that it is assembled correctly. Failure to have the parts installed completely and correctly can result in a clog that will need Service Center attention to resolve.
- SUCTION PATH: Check for debris in the suction path at the top of the dirt container assembly
If you are still unable to resolve the suction problem with your machine, please take it to a BISSELL Authorized Service Center. To locate your nearest BISSELL Authorized Service Center, please go to www.bissell.com. Click on the Customer Support tab near the top of the homepage and enter your zip code in the Service Center locator box to perform your search.
You can also locate a Service Center by phone, 24 hours a day, by calling 1-800-237-7691 and choosing option #2.