My model 16N5 PowerClean® or Healthy Home Vacuum® doesn't have power. What can I check?
Answer: 1. Unplug the unit and check the entire length of the power cord for damage. Run the palm of your hand down the entire length of the cord and feel for any edges. The cord should be smooth all the way down. Check the plug for damage as well. If the cord is damaged, please take your vacuum to a technician. You can find your nearest BISSELL® Authorized Service Center by clicking http://www.bissell.com/service-centers/ or by calling 1-800-237-7691, available 24 hours a day.
2. Next, make sure the power cord is plugged into a working outlet. Try using another appliance in the outlet to double check.
3. Make sure the red Power Button is pressed (pictured below).
4. Check the screws that hold the handle in place. The screws (denoted by pointing arrows) should be securely fastened and the front-side of the handle should be flush with the lower assembly. If the screws aren’t secure and the handle-assembly isn’t flush with the lower assembly, the internal connectors will not be connected properly. See pictures below.
5. If the red power button won’t stay pressed in, you’ll need to order a new handle. You can do so by clicking here: http://www.bissell.com/parts/?sc=part&productid=2464&partid=17005
6. Check the pre-motor and HEPA Filter for debris. The pre-motor is a foam pad found behind the dirt-cup in a clear window labeled “filter,” The HEPA Filter is found below the dirt-cup. Reduced air-flow from dirty filters or clogs will put greater stress on the motor, increasing the possibility for overheating. If the unit overheats, a protection feature of the Healthy Home is a Thermal Protector, which turns the unit off automatically. Should the unit turn off due to the Thermal Protector, unplug the machine, wait 30 minutes for the Thermal Protector to reset, then plug the machine back in, and turn it on.
Note: All clogs should be removed and the filters should be checked for debris prior to turning the machine back on.
7. Completely remove the handle from the unit (unscrew the surfboard-shaped hose wrap removed first to allow proper access to the handle screws). Once removed, check to see if the white wire harness is not seated correctly. If it is, use a flathead screwdriver and pop it into place (pictured below). Once done, slide the handle back into place, insert the screw, and tighten until snug.
8. If power is inconsistent and the above troubleshooting steps did not resolve the issue, you’ll need to order a new handle. You can do so by clicking here: http://www.bissell.com/parts/?sc=part&productid=2464&partid=17005
9. If there's still no power after trying the above steps, please take your vacuum to a technician. You can find your nearest BISSELL® Authorized Service Center by clicking http://www.bissell.com/service-centers/ or by calling 1-800-237-7691, available 24 hours a day.