My floors are streaked after using my PowerFresh® Steam Mop.
Answer: If you let the machine linger a second or two too long, it can leave a milky spot or streak on waxed floors. This can be removed with vinegar and water.
- Always be sure to thoroughly sweep or vacuum the floor prior to using your mop. This is necessary to remove any loose debris.
- Check what kind of flooring you have. The PowerFresh® Steam Mop is great to use on tile, vinyl, linoleum, marble, stone, and sealed hardwood floors. Your mop is not for use on unsealed hardwood flooring.
- Have you ever put anything other than water in the water tank? Water is the only thing that can go in the water tank. Anything else, like vinegar, may cause streaks but also may permanently damage your mop.
- If you’ve never put anything besides water in the tank, try using a damp towel to remove the streaks.
- Now take a look at the micro-fiber pad. If it has an odd-looking substance on it, this most likely has come from the flooring.
- If you can remove the streaks with the towel or the micro-fiber pad has an odd substance, the streaking is likely being caused by a floor polish or wax. Using your mop on waxed floors may decrease its glossiness.
- If you don’t wax or polish your floors, you should check the care instructions from your flooring manufacturer.
- If you’re able to remove the streaks, wash the pads with a mild detergent in your washing machine. Don’t add fabric softener or bleach.
If the pad-bottom appears abnormal, you haven’t been applying wax or polish, and your floor manufacturer tells you that steam mops are compatible with your specific flooring, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-237-7691, Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., or Sunday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET. A representative will be ready and waiting to help you out!